Bank Verification Number (BVN): All You Should Know
Technology can be inferred as a blessing and curse regarding the way it has dealt and still dealing with the global population. In the world of banking, the increase in the number of reported incidents of compromise on conventional security systems (password and PIN) raised the high demand for better security on access to vital information of banking customers.
With BVN, each bank customer has a unique identity across the Nigerian banking industry, which can be used for easy identification and verification at different points of banking operations.
The process of getting a BVN is through biometrics. Biometrics is the identification of an individual based on physiological attributes- fingerprint, voice, facial features, etc. In a bid to address the challenges surrounding the compromise on sensitive information about banking customers who have at some point lost their money to the act of phishing, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), in partnership with all Nigerian banks launched a centralized biometric identification system called Bank Verification Number (BVN). This is a modern security measure, in line with the Central Bank of Nigeria Act 1958, to reduce fraud in the banking system.
Requirements For BVN Enrollment
The following are what you will be required to provide for BVN enrollment:
1.Valid ID (any of the following):
- a) Nigerian International Passport
- b) Nigerian National ID Card
- c) Nigerian Driver’s License
- d) International Passport (Non-Nigerian)
- One recent passport photograph
Enrollment Process For BVN Registration
- Fill an enrollment form in your local bank or download the form online.
- Submit yourself for biometrics at designated branches of your local bank.
- Receive ticket ID.
- Your BVN will be sent to you via SMS.
How To Link BVN
Your BVN details can be easily linked to your local bank account(s) without having to walk into the local bank branches.
To link your Bank Verification Number (BVN) details to your local bank account(s), you can use any of ATMs across the country, internet banking platforms or visit the BVN linking portal on the website of your local bank to complete your request.
How To Link BVN Via Internet Banking
- Log on to your internet banking
- Select BVN Linker from the menu
- Click on New Request
- From the drop-down menu, insert your Bank Verification Number (BVN)
- Select the Nigerian Bank where your BVN was Issued
- Answer your Secret Question and continue
How To Link BVN Via ATMs
- Insert local bank ATM card
- Select BVN Link on the transaction menu screen
- Enter your 11-Digit BVN
- Confirm your BVN details
- Submit your BVN
How To Link BVN Via Bank USSD BVN Linker
You can link your BVN to your bank accounts) by using your bank USSD BVN Linker. Every Nigerian bank has a unique USSD code being used. For instance, the USSD code Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB) is 737.
Importance Of BVN In Nigeria
- Bank accounts are protected from unauthorized access.
- BVN gives every banking customer a unique identity that can be verified across the Nigerian banking industry.
- BVN is officially accepted as a means of identification across all Nigerian banks.
- BVN enables easy access to banking operations in Nigeria.
- BVN reduces fraudulent activities on customers’ bank accounts).
BVN is the new normal of verifying identification in Nigeria today. This is not only restricted to the banking system but also places of work. Most organizations require their new and existing employees to submit their BVN details when completing their information form to the organization.
Also, an enrollment for BVN can be done at some designated centers across the world, as the process is not only limited to persons residing within Nigeria.