How to Open and Run a Laundry Business in Nigeria
It is a given that with just #50,000, you can start a laundry business in Nigeria. Laundry business – popularly called dry-cleaning business in Nigeria – is about washing, starching, drying and ironing clothing materials for individuals and companies. . It is a very profitable low risk business anyone can do for profit. You can start small and grow. You can do it as a part time business or full time business. With low budget, you can start a successful laundry business and grow. The good thing about laundry business is you can start with no money! I mean even if you don’t have a kobo! You can start with home service. We will talk about that later and also look at how to set up your own laundry business.
Nigeria’s population is growing at a double-quick-march and many people are getting busier with work and business so as to meet up with ever increasing needs. An average working class Nigerian works from morning to at least late in the evening. Some Nigerians work even on Saturdays and Sundays. Thus, they would definitely require the need to dry-clean. Even on free days, there are almost always issues to attend to or grapple with. The tight schedule makes it very difficult to create a enough time to do laundry. Laundry business therefore comes in handy. Everyone loves to look good in good, clean, ironed and sparkling clothes. Everyone wants to be admired. The workplace and occasions are avenues to gain all the validation you need. Hence, looking good in well washed and ironed clothes is a good place to start. The need for dry-cleaning is like the need of chicks for a mother hen.
Benefits of Starting and Running a Laundry Business in Nigeria
There are mouthwatering benefits of starting and running a dry-cleaning business in Nigeria. This is because it affords you the chance to take a calculated risk. Below are some of the benefits of starting and running a laundry business in Nigeria:
* You can start with little or no cash.
* You can start this business from your backyard on a low-key.
* You can start small and grow in the business.
* You become your own boss and preserve your time and energy for other things.
* It can serve as one of your streams of income. You can do this business together with a paying job.
* Laundry is very lucrative. You can make a fortune from this business.
* It is a very flexible business. You can go small scale or large scale any time.
Basic Equipment Needed to Start and Run a Laundry Business in Nigeria.
According to make money.ng, the basic equipment you need in your laundry business are as follows:
* Laundry detergent: Don’t just buy any the detergent, buy the ones used by dry cleaners
* Washing machines: There are different grades, look for the one you can afford that is quality
* Washing Basins: You will need it to soak clothes and for other uses
* Pressing Iron: A quality iron that has good customization features for different materials
* Ironing table: Where you can comfortable iron clothes
* Garment Conveyor: This is what you use to hang cloths. Get a carpenter to make one
* Starch: A lot of customers will request for it to add beauty to their cloth
* Water: You will need a source of water. If there is no water supply, you can buy a thank and store water
* Power Generator: As electricity is not reliable, you will need a good generator that can carry your equipment just in case
* Nylon and tags: You will need nylon to package the ironed cloths. You will also need tags to tag the clothes so you don’t mix things up
* Shelves: You will need shelves to keep the ironed and packaged cloth in order.
There are other items you may need. These are the basics.
Steps to Starting and Running a Laundry Business in Nigeria.
Just like any other worthwhile business, laundry business requires you to take some steps. You cannot run a dry-cleaning business in a vacuum. Below are some of the necessary steps to starting and running a dry-cleaning business in Nigeria according to oasdom.com:
Capital is needed if you wish to run a dry cleaning business on a large scale. Rent, Laundry equipment, delivery van are some of the fixed assets you will need especially if you are operating a large scale laundry services. Most times customers will like to see the work done before paying which means payment is usually on delivery. Remember, you will have to pay your employees, carry out maintenance on the machines plus contingencies which may arise.
However, you don’t need so much money if you wish to start on a small scale as local dry cleaners probably from your backyard. The downside about this is that clients are not willing to pay as much as they do when they patronize large scale dry cleaners. They regard those who run a dry cleaning business on a small scale as cheap dress cleaners.
Business registration with the Corporate Affairs Commission is on the high as business owners are showing that they are serious. This is an important aspect as it gives you confidence and permits to practice. Although it is overlooked by small scale dry cleaners or local dry cleaners, it cannot be exempted in some environment as it gives you the needed recognition.
Make thorough research:
Making thorough research is highly important in this type of business. You need to know: The number of people running a dry cleaning business in the intended environment so you don’t add up to the already saturated area. The price existing laundries charge in the intended area. Do they provide satisfactory services? Do the people complain about their prices, late pick up or delivery? Etc. You can make all their weaknesses your own strong point. Which types of people live in the intended area? Is it the rich upper class area? Or is it a poor neighborhood. This will help to determine their priority. The rich upper class will most likely prefer you to pick it up and deliver at their convenience, provide higher quality of service and will not mind to give more than the price you charge. However, a poor neighborhood will put affordability as the first on their scale of preference.
This factor sometimes determines your number of customers provided you give a top notch service to your customers.
It is advisable to locate your laundry shop or collection centers in highly trafficked areas as dry cleaning business tend to grow faster in such areas. Your laundry shop or collection centers should be located where your targeted clients live or work. Even if you provide mobile dry cleaning service, it is still important to have a particular location where your clients can still check you. This will help them feel safe with giving their clothes to you.
If you are operating a large scale laundry services, dry cleaning equipment are highly essential to be purchased. This equipment make work easier and faster such that you are able to serve more customers. It also help to reduce the number of labor needed. It is vital to put all equipment under adequate maintenance so as to avoid unnecessary cost.
The number of staffs to be employed will depend on whether you are operating on a small scale on a large scale. It is advisable to pay based on the quantity of work done by each employee. Also, the more the equipment the fewer the number of staff needed.
Offer additional services:
Apart from washing clothes, you can decide to offer additional services such as washing bed sheets, curtains, rug carpets and other household items to maximize your profit.
Branding of your garment bags and delivery van with your company details boldly printed on it will o a long way. Use large banners, bold sign board and flyers to promote your brand. Another way of promoting your brand is by being time conscious and providing excellent customer services. Train your employees to have good relationship with your clients. Good customer service leads to more referral. There is high probability that your clients will recommend you to their friends and family thereby increasing your number of customers. In fact you can make it possible for your clients to track their garment and even pay online.
To expand your client database, you can offer to provide the following services:
* Rush service: This is also known as same day dry cleaning. As a same day cleaner, your clients will be sure to get their clothing that same day. To provide this service, you must have the necessary equipment and its advantage is that it comes at an extra dry cleaning cost.
* Specialty cleaning: This involves cleaning attires that require special laundry needs and professional touch as some of these attires are sophisticated and delicate. Example is wedding dress cleaning (wedding gowns suits). etc. Materials such as leathers, rug and carpet also require special laundry needs. Clients who bring such materials also know that it comes at an extra dry cleaning cost.
* Pick up and dry cleaning delivery: this involves picking and delivering clients clothing at their convenience. However, to avoid the excess cost of petrol, you may decide to choose a day with your clients for pickup and delivery.
* Express Ironing: This means you are willing to iron clothes that have already being washed and also deliver within a very short time.
Dry cleaning business is not a business you can just start without acquiring adequate knowledge about it. Although you can decide to employ an expert to work with you so you can learn from them but it’s so good to be a master of your trade.
Some challenges to bear in mind include:
Not all stains can be removed hence inspect for heavily stained garment. Although, such clothes are passed through strong stain removals, it is good to duely inform your clients if 100% result is not guaranteed.
* Damage to clothing occurs and clothing shrinks.
* Clothes get burnt or even go missing. Hence proper care and record keeping is essential.
* Absence of sunlight during rainy season.
As a commercial laundry man or woman, you are expected to wash, starch and iron dirty clothes. One thing about dry-cleaning business is that, like food, people must wash. People would definitely need their clothes neat and ready to wear. The dry cleaning business has made life a lot easier; especially for wives with painstaking jobs and time-consuming commitments. Dry-cleaning business used to be stereotyped as a poor man’s business but time has proven that even the rich are going into the business. It is so amazing to see that you can now make your order online and your item will be picked up in minutes and delivered to you at your convenience.
In fact, you can use clothing tracking systems to monitor how far your dry-cleaner has gone with your clothes. Giving your wears to dry-cleaners is no more a luxury but a necessity because you would definitely need professional hands to do it for you. It is easy to hand your clothes to a family member or willing neighbor to wash and iron for you but the professional touch of a good laundry person cannot be overlooked. You can open an account with one of the digital banks – especially Mint Digital Bank – if you need to monitor your financial progress in the business and take charge of your financial destiny. The hectic nature of banking with traditional banks can be excruciating. A reliable digital bank helps you especially when the laundry business is one of your many vested interests. When hidden charges are eliminated and interests embracing. In fact, your laundry business needs a digital banking boost.